“Chaos and geomagnetic reversals" by Christophe Gissinger, Dept. of Astrophysical Sciences/ Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory.
Winner of Princeton’s 2011 Art of Science competition.
This image is a visualization of a model describing polarity reversals of the Earth’s magnetic field over time. From the Princeton site:
"This image shows a simple deterministic model illustrating the geomagnetic reversals. The model is based on the non-linear interaction between two magnetic modes (dipole and quadrupole) and one velocity component of the Earth’s core flow, and the image shows typical trajectories in the 3D phase space. The corresponding strange attractor reproduces irregular reversals between two symmetrical states."
- recycledimages likes this
- lorenzens-soil likes this
- flasd reblogged this from posthorn and added:
- lmpressions likes this
- glitchthemachine likes this
- ceabooth reblogged this from posthorn
- abluegirl reblogged this from posthorn
- lliquid likes this
- igoumeninja likes this
- wu-tangflan reblogged this from posthorn
- structuralflaws reblogged this from posthorn
- garrettbgnarly reblogged this from posthorn
- luneballoon likes this
- garabating likes this
- ofthefloatingworld reblogged this from posthorn
- posthorn posted this