Masthead of the first issue of “Le Ballon Poste: Journal du siège de Paris” published 30 Oct., 1870.
During the Franco-Prussian War of 1870, Paris was under siege. The only way in or out of the city was by balloon; the French started making use of balloon mail. They used balloons to distrubute these newspapers detailing events within the besieged city. Brown University has scans.
Below, a cartoon of a Prussian soldier distracted by an escaping balloon.
- analfred-f-jones likes this
- smbhax likes this
- salidoodles likes this
- theyreadbooks likes this
- namespudding likes this
- english-bavarian reblogged this from posthorn
- english-bavarian likes this
- risforrini likes this
- floppyflamingo likes this
- hasan-tuna likes this
- drop122 likes this
- mudshark58 reblogged this from posthorn
- milleottocentoottantaquattro reblogged this from posthorn
- rubenkok likes this
- theycallmejimany reblogged this from posthorn
- alombredelaguillotine reblogged this from posthorn
- redchilimonster likes this
- bribebribe likes this
- hypergiants reblogged this from posthorn
- vanityemm likes this
- posthorn posted this